Temperature really does make a difference.

I used to have a chart that showed temp verses capacity but it's buried on
my hard drive somewhere. Bottom line - at freezing, you've lost 20% of your
battery capacity and the capacity drops as the temperature drops further
down. More often than not, with a diesel engine you can do more good with a
battery heater than a block heater because you keep the RPMs up and supply
more current to the glow plugs. The other answer is to buy the correct
battery!!! I've lost count of the times I've gone over to friends with
non-starting Mercedes only to find that they have a little battery installed
- the one recommended by Wally-World. Some more than once.....

Here's an excerpt from one web site:

Temperature Effects on Batteries
Battery capacity (how many amp-hours it can hold) is reduced as temperature
goes down, and increased as temperature goes up. This is why your car
battery dies on a cold winter morning, even though it worked fine the
previous afternoon. If your batteries spend part of the year shivering in
the cold, the reduced capacity has to be taken into account when sizing the
system batteries. The standard rating for batteries is at room temperature -
25 degrees C (about 77 F). At approximately -22 degrees F (-27 C), battery
AH capacity drops to 50%. At freezing, capacity is reduced by 20%. Capacity
is increased at higher temperatures - at 122 degrees F, battery capacity
would be about 12% higher.

And my source:
http://www.rajkuntwar.com/html/tellmehow/batterybasics.html

Thanks,