When I was in college, I'd keep the battery for my 190Dc inside during the winter. When I needed the car, I'd carry the warm battery out and put it in the car. It helped!

At 07:36 AM 11/4/2008, you wrote:
I don't know if they are still available but back when I lived in the cold
North (NY State), we used to install a heater under our car batteries in the
winter. The heater was a mat that sat on the battery tray & the battery sat
on top of the mat. The heater plugged into AC power through an extension
cord. This made a bigger difference than a block heater because a car
battery looses a lot of its capacity as the temperature drops.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Curt Raymond
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:28 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300E oil question (I almost hate to ask this!)

At one point when I was living in an apartment with my 240D I'd threatened
to put dual batteries in, theres space under the hood, and put 24v to the
starter for those really cold mornings. Marshall FREAKED...

He did send me a message once that he liked my battery in the trunk to power
an inverter and thus the block heater...

-Curt