On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For small engines like that with no oil filter a non-detergent oil is
> generally recommended.  They don't suspend dirt so much, so it tends to
> settle out instead of remaining in suspension with nothing to ever
> filter it out.

Wow, learn something new every day.  I have an el-cheapo Chinese
generator that I'm rather fond of.  4500W supposedly, looks like a
knockoff of an old Honda engine, and starts on the first pull every
time.  It definitely has no oil filter.  The owner's manual gives
recommended weights for different temperature ranges (along with spark
plug recommendations, again depending on ambient temperature and
expected load---when was the last time you saw that?), but says
nothing about non-detergent oil.  What should I be looking for at
FLAPS?

Alex