On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:40 AM, andrew strasfogel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So are their reputable companies in the big cities operating under
> industrial economies of scale who are hauling away restaurants' fryer grease
> and turning it into bio diesel?

Dunno about anywhere else, but here in Oregon a company called
Sequential Biofuels has exclusive contracts with Burgerville (local
fast-food chain) and Kettle Chips (local but nationally distributed
potato-chip producer) to do just that with their used oil.  They
supply all of the retail biodiesel pumps I know of in the Portland
area.  Not that I've visited one of their pumps in quite a while,
unfortunately---I pass by one every night on the way home and the last
time I looked at the price it was approaching $6/gallon.  (There was a
scraggly W123 sitting next to it, but unoccupied and not fueling up as
far as I could tell---perhaps its no doubt equally scraggly, bearded
owner abandoned it in despair?)

Alex "scraggly and bearded but too cheap for $6/gal BD" Chamberlain