You don't need to heat the whole thing just the area you want to weld, we fixed an old seed drill with me haeting the hub with a gas axe and the boss welding. He had a welding helmet and I got welding flash. Then got to spend the next week resowing a few fields in an open cab tractor, whilst suffering from a cold and sore eyes.

Hendrik
who still has light sensitive eyes, that's why I can't look at pictures of plain old boxy yank tanks for too long

Allan Streib wrote:
I asked about MIG welding because that's all that I have.  The bench is
not really worth buying or even renting a stick welder.

I might try the idea of heating the whole piece in a bed of coals and
then seeing what the MIG can do.

Allan