yea, there is a switch under the  hood to disable the system.

E M wrote:
Thanks.  Just trying to read up on the 4matic system and doing a little
googling.  Sounds like the system was a bit of a dog.  From what I read,
there are several setting for the system. Early systems would engaged the
clutches by way of hydrolics, later it was electronic.  I can't make out
from what I've read if the system can be shut off, and left in RWD only, or
if it's perminant, and the various settings are for different levels of
lock, etc.?

Thanks again Kaleb.

Ed
300E

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,