From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 10:14 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cerberus wants money back

Many (most) 4wd vehicles have tires with too much ground contact for
the weight.  This leads to spinning with all 4 wheels, where a 240D
with its relatively small tires, (but proper weight distribution per
square inch of contact area) can do right up the hill.

I learned this the hard way with my 66 bronco way back when 11-15
tires were new.  sucker would not go anywhere with 11-15s.  I put
7.50 15 Bandag capped Michelin radial truck tires on it and i pulled
4wds out of ditches and uphill on  ice.

the only thing fat tires on 4wds are good for is flotation on soft sand.

At 09:51 AM 12/9/2008, you wrote:
>"Curt Raymond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > That includes last December when at one point I was climbing a hill
> > slowly in my 190D thinking "thank God I got my snowtires this week" and
> > looked over to see a Toyota pickup crabbing up the hill sideways will
all
> > 4 tires spinning. Finally the car in front of me slid off the road, I
> > opened the taps and easily pulled away from the Toyota and all the other
> > 4wds with their crappy "all season" offroad tires.
>
>Had a similar experience to that in my 4WD Nissan trunk this week.
>Roads had about an inch of icy mix, and I was in 2WD.  Got about halfway
>up the incline on the road near my house and the wheels started to spin.
>  Put it into 4WD and still could not get going -- all 4 wheels were just
>spinning and I was making no forward progress and sliding slightly
>sideways.
>
>Had to back down the hill and start from the bottom in 4WD, made it no
>problem.  Had I been in my 300D I'd probably not have made it,
>regardless of tires (maybe if I'd had studded snows....)
>
>Allan

Loren Faeth

Checked by AVG.
6:16 PM