Missed you this weekend. I had a hell of a time with this tire deal, it really screwed up my plans. I cant remember where you live but we were staying at the druiry inn in fenton right across from the DC plant.

TE wrote:
My C140 weighs just over 5500 lbs.

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Kaleb C. Striplin
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 12:22 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I make it back, Walmart hell (TRAILER TIRES)

Well take for instance, how much does a 140 weight? Im not sure. Its a heavy car I know that. Trailer is a regular old steel flat bed 18' trailer. dont know how much that weights. Tires I have on now are 1499 per tire, so 5996 total capacity. Thats probably plenty for many small to medium cars, but wonder if the 140 was too much weight

Fmiser wrote:
Kaleb wrote:
Anyway, have been thinking now, is it OK to run car tires on
a trailer?
Yes. Or no.
I have done a little short bit of research and some say yes,
some say no.  Seems car tires might last a little longer
that trailer rated tires, and trailer tires I think you are
only supposed to go up to 65mph with them.
Most of my experience with trailer tires is 22 inch, so that
won't help much.

 Also car tires
are cheaper but the air pressure rating is usually much
lower than trailer tires, and the weight rating is lower.
And that's why the answer is not clear. If you need the weight
rating, use truck or trailer tires - not car tires.

The reviews in the goodyear trailer tires look
like they have blow out often.
Maybe that's because only folks who actually haul weight
will spend money with the hi-load tires and because the tires
are being worked hard they fail?

The load star trailer tires that came new on my trailer did
not seem to last long before they were bald.  I think car
tires might last longer.  Anybody got any thoughts?
The big enemy of tires is heat.

The greatest source of heat is tire flex.

Tire flex decreases as air pressure increases.

As I understand, truck and trailer tire ratings have a greater
overload margine than passenger car tires.

So, how much weight is on the tire? Are car tires an option?

--            Philip

12/14/2008 12:28 PM

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 89 300E, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,