I have a friend from college who was one of the last submariner officers to get the Rickover grilling. After several years in the Navy, a large part of which was submerged, he decided to fly to visit. He had loads of cash, but never got a CC, because he didn't need one. He flew in, got to the rental car counter where he had a car reserved, and tried to pay them with cash. He was willing to leave them with any amount of cash as a deposit. In the end, he could not get a car, because every rental car company deemed a veteran Naval officer to be a bad risk, unless of course, he had a credit card. In that case, he would be absolved of all wrongs committed by over 200 years of Naval officers, and be able to rent a car.

So I had to drive to the airport to get him, and then drive him back to the airport. Good Ol Uncle trusted him with however many million dollars worth of Nuke Sub, but good ol Number One, would not trust him with a $10,000 DEEtroit hunk o junk.

The real deal, I think, is that the rental companies don't trust their employees to handle cash. All credit card transactions are handled electronically, so it is harder for the employees to rip off the company. Back then the CC were not electronic, but there were only paper slips, not cash, to steal.

Loren Faeth