Gerry
From: tyler
Photons have energy and momentum, but they don't have the sort of "rest
mass" that makes a non-moving object experience gravity. The concept of
mass doesn't really apply to objects that cannot be at rest. Photons are
not tiny classical mechanical particles traveling quickly, but have
totally different behavior. Depending on the context, it's generally
more useful to think of them as a discrete quanta of energy, rather than
as a particle like an electron.

I'm not sure about the black cloth experiment you're talking about,
perhaps someone else on here knows about it? Because mass and energy and
fundamentally equivalent, it is possible for the energy in a photon to
increase the mass of an object when absorbed, without the photon itself
having mass.

Tyler

Bill R wrote:
No argument here, but light does seem to have weight.  The study was done
many years ago [I was in HS when I heard about it] using a black cloth
subjected to intense light in a controlled environment, and the cloth gained
a [very small] amount of weight during the process.  It was part of our
class on light in HS physics - would have been about 1965. That is my only
reference to it, so, once more, scientific types needed ... is this true?
BillR