Since in science, things can only be considered from the perspective of observable phenomena, the properties of light are only understood only through their interaction with other particles and energy in given situations. Photons exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior depending on the situation (Google wave-particle duality).

Since the concept of a "particle" or a "wave" describes behavior in certain situations, I would say that light propagating in free space exhibits no specific properties. The properties only arise in relation to it's interaction with the rest of the universe.

I am not a big fan of the reductionist philosophy where one tries to understand the universe in terms of individual components with inherent properties. I do not think it makes sense to discuss a photon (or anything else for that matter) outside of the context of it's being a small subset or component of the universe, which is a large interconnected system or sequence of cause and effect events.

For clarity, I'll restate it differently:

A photon is really just an imaginary construct or model we have invented to group together a series of closely related events and behavior we have observed in the universe. The observed phenomena is real, but the photon itself is only an intellectual tool for understanding, describing, and predicting those phenomena. Neither the "wave" or "particle" models alone accurately describe these phenomena, so we have invented two different models which we apply in different situations. It's really not very elegant, but nobody has come up with something better (yet).

I hope that makes sense...

Tyler

OK Don wrote:
So, are photons in motion particles or waves?