Craig McCluskey wrote:

My theory at the time was that the COLD air chilled the cylinder walls,
causing it to stop and waiting awhile allowed the rest of the engine
(which was warmed up) to heat them back up.

Mine is that the fuel gelled, and you were developing vacuum in your fuel
filter.

One time, on a nasty cold morning, my dad drove his 4.3L Ciera out of the attached garage and off to work. I believe it had been plugged in overnight. He made it to Lansing before the car died. Had it towed to a shop where they dumped some anti-gel in the tank and kept it indoors for a couple of hours to warm up, problem solved.

Mitch.
Mitch.
Mitch.