Bzzt

Gelled fuel  classic symptoms

At 10:10 PM 1/15/2009, you wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:42:07 -0600 Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> The 300D cranked up this morning with absolutely no problems -- ran
> the GP til the light went out, waiting 10 sec or so, cranked for
> about 2 sec and it was running on all six instantly.
>
> No really rattle, no smoke to speak of.
>
> Should be -1F in the morning, hope this works again!

When we lived in the Black Forest north of Colorado Springs, it was -24F
one day. I DID get the '72 220D with series plugs started, but found that
after driving a couple miles or so, the engine would stop. If I waited a
few minutes, I could re-start it and drive some more. I decided that
wasn't a good way to go to work (not to mention starting it at the end of
the day) and turned around and went home.

My theory at the time was that the COLD air chilled the cylinder walls,
causing it to stop and waiting awhile allowed the rest of the engine
(which was warmed up) to heat them back up.

Craig

Loren Faeth