I know when we bought the beige G3 300 for #1 son to do digital video, the digitizer card was $1000 and then there was an extra SCSI card and big drive, etc. We bought it set up from B&H, because that way it WORKED out of the box. I think it was close to $5000 for the whole order.

A year later the G4 came with all the DV stuff out of the box for $2500 or so. BY then the EIDE drives were bumped up to 66 from 33, so the SCSI was not necessary, just an extra drive.

When I worked for the Univ, in 97 or 98, the part I was working for wanted to do digital video, and I said "buy a mac from B&H" but of course they wouldn't, because it had to be a Winders machine. So we spec'd a Winders machine from B&H, and sent it off to "Purchasing" A couple of weeks later we got several boxes from a now-defunct big box store. The "purchasing" brainchildren found they could save $20 by ordering all the pieces, rather than the WORKING computer from B&H! And of course they didn't inform anyone of their decision. So we dutifully put the pieces together, and nothing worked. after hours (days, weeks) on the phone to the various mfgrs and the big box store, they finally sent out a "tech" to show all us idiots how to set it up. Well, after 2 or 3 days, they could not make it work either. I think they ended up eating it. I just stayed away when I saw all the boxes arrive. I did not want to get sucked into that mess. A month or two later, there was finally a working computer, and i think after they sent back all the pieces, they ordered the WORKING box from B&H.