Send it back, go to the local computer shop and get a Siig chip based USB card.

Was awfully tempted, but I spent the weekend installing and
reinstalling software.  Nothing really worked until I ran the
startup volume through DiskWarrior, which cleaned up mongo
directory structure errors.  (That was a fun side-trip, since
I only had one CD drive and I had to run OS9 from one, and DW
was on its own CD that should have, but refused to, start the
Beige on its own.  But I put the SCSI disk burner on the Beige
and used Toast from one of the IDE volumes [not the boot drive]
to cause DW to get mounted.  After that DW was available.  The
job took hours, though, and the laundry list of problems it found
was immense.)  Once the G3's boot disk was given a clean bill
of health, the full re-install process went as it should and
the Canon EOS now shows up as an Image Capture device.  Yay!

In honor of which, attached are a couple of 1/8 scaled pictures
I took with the camera.

Dime with 100mm macro: