From: Russ Maki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:49:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [MBZ] old list nostalgia/audi nut

Catching up a little on the name-calling thread --

I first subscribed to the mercedes-veterans list in '97 or so, looking
for help in making my '71 /8 run right. I quickly stumbled into the
largess of Frank Mallory, who gave me a rare W114 passenger side-view
mirror and wouldn't even accept a dime for postage.

 Then Bill Wachsmuth swapped me a Becker Europa radio in exchange for an
old BMW unit he probably had absolutely no use for. I went on to meet
Todd Knutson through MBCA, as well as Dan Gordon, Randy Durrance, Jan
Guthrie and a bunch of other great folks.  The Internet and these lists
were the conduit.

 I'm pretty low-key as a participant myself these days, but to all those
who have helped me keep my cars on the highway -- Kaleb, Marshall,
Andrew Strasvogel, to name a few more and neglect dozens of others --
I'm sincerely grateful. The years I've been subscribed are much less a
badge of honor than they are an IOU. I've received far more than I've given.

As for the smarta$$ who was wondering where the quattro nut went --
well, that wasn't me, but I do own an Audi. Here it is on frozen Lake
Sinissippi, Wis., during a winter autocross:
http://www.audifans.com/registry/view.php?action=viewImage&imagefile=192.251.4000%20pic.jpg

Take my word for it -- no sedan beats an old-school Audi with locking
differentials when you're driving home on a country road in a foot of snow.

Russ Maki
Ixonia, Wis.