Pilots were reporting icing as they descended. Eyewitness reports plane impacted at a steep downward pitch angle and banked (rolled), which is consistent with coming down after a (wing) stall (hence hitting the house square on). Pilots reported flaps down at some point, pogoing up and down after deploying flaps (which generally cause the nose to drop, which means you need to pull up a bit on the stick, which means you are increasing the angle of attack, which means that if you are close to a stall you might start a ragged one, which usually means the nose drops and the airplane rolls one way, and if you don't have enough altitude to recover you will bore in at a steep pitch angle and rolled). The pogoing suggests an incipient stall, pilot pulling up, wing stalls a bit and airplane pitches down a bit, pull up again, pitches down, until something causes a stall break and pulling up does not result in pitch up again but a continuing pitch down/roll.

The airplane had pneumatic deicers, which are basically little rubber inner tubes on the leading edge of the wing, which can blow up a bit to break ice off the leading edge. But if ice is on the wing surfaces, that will alter the wing shape and weight, which is not good for the aerodynamics you would like to have.

Eyewitness reports engines not sounding quite right, props could have been iced or intakes iced, all kinds of things to diminish power from the engines/props.

But that is all conjecture, will need final analysis and NTSB report.

--R

Allan Streib wrote:
I just though it odd for the plane to crash with no indication of trouble
voiced by the pilot.  Especially on approach where I'd think they are talking
back and forth with the tower quite often.  But I speak from ignorance.

Almost like it was just hit by a missile or something (I'm NOT suggesting
that's what happened).

Allan