while I am not looking up the exact regs etc, I do know there are salary exempt employees (what I was on my last job) that are on salary, get paid the same no matter how many hours they work. There are also salary non-exempt where you still do not punch a clock but if you work over 40 you get paid. Then there is hourly, where of course, you clock in and out and get paid based on that.

John Freer wrote:
Peter,
I must kindly disagree, If you are classified as an "Exempt Employee",
than there are no limitations on how many hours, days, weekends,
travel time, etc you spend at the job. There are no 8 hour days, 40
hour weeks. You are paid an annual salary and you work until the job
is done.

You are discussing "Non Exempt" employee status which, by the name,
implies that there are numerous rules that must be followed.

While I have quoted Federal regs, there may be various State
variations but the term "Exempt" and "Non Exempt" still apply.
Probably the Unions also have a say in this in some industries.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 95 E300, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,