Tire rating is determined by chassis design, not engine size. The gasser W123 would run 125 mph, so yes, a 240 needs H rated tires.

Peter

On Mar 15, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Mitch Haley wrote:

Tom Hargrave wrote:
Of the three only the Sumitomo has the correct speed rating for use on a Mercedes. The Sumitomo is H rated (130 MPH), the other 2 are T rated (118
MPH).
Speed rating is not just about 'speed'. Lower speed rated tires have
sidewalls that are not as stiff and the softer sidewalls affect handling and
in some cases, safety.

I don't think the 240D came with H rated tires, did it?
I assumed they were S rated 175R14, like the 165SR15 on my Saab 99LE.
Going from 175R14 to 195/70R14 should help stability quite a bit anyway.

Ask Kleb how those T rated Generals work on a 190D. I only have experience with the H rated Generals on a FWD.

Mitch.