So what are the nightmares to beware of on an SLC? Did they adopt the heater fan placement from the W114? Do the windshields leak? Door seals? I know what to look for on a 123/126, but I'm not really sure where to start on a 107, let alone an SLC.

Many SLC body parts are special to only the SLC.  Such as glass,
trim bits, etc.  May extend to door seals as well.  Windshields
are glued in, not particularly prone to leaking but can of course.
107's are rust magnets, so watch out.  D-Jet has extra fun, I
don't have one yet but beware of fuel leaks and resultant fires.
(Tend to underhood fuel rubber in other words.)  Heater fan is
easy to get to, it's under a hatch accessed from underhood.
For the right price I'd certainly consider one.  Fuel economy will
not be great.

-- Jim