andrew strasfogel wrote:
One of these days, there will be so few unrusted SLCs left on the planet
that they will actually start to appreciate.  Until then, STAY AWAY!

I restored a 1978 SL C, and it was money POORLY spent!  Filling the dash
cracks and redying the seats and vinyl dash was no fun, and the dyed
portions of the plastic peeled off  :((  These cars rust if you breathe on
them, and the engines regularly need an expensive valve job before 200K
miles, when they start to seriously burn some oil.

Can you imagine if somebody tried to condemn a 1978 Chevy for burning oil before reaching 200,000 miles? My parents got 145,000 miles out of a 1977 Nova (250 I-6 3sp) and it was still a reliable car when they sold it. That was considered a minor miracle at the time. Most people were happy to scrap a car at 60,000 miles and ecstatic if it reached 100,000.

Mitch.