To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - IBM Working to Integrate ALL Med Records

"There is no privacy any more.  Get over it."

*Scott McNealy Chairman and Co-Founder, Sun Microsystems (http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/executives/mcnealy/bio.jsp )
     *

     *Jan 1998 or so, Lotusphere, Orlando FL*

--R

LarryT wrote:
Just saw a disturbing TV commercial (History Channel) where dozens of white robed technicans talk about what they are working on. Seems they want to create a huge database that puts medical records, insurance records, hospital records, etc etc where *everything* talks to everything else! Don't know about you, but this doesn't sound like the greatest idea. Sure, it may make the insurance business more profitible, but at the expense of patient privacy! We've had a regular diet of reports of credit card information being lost or stolen when hard drives are given away, lost or stolen. That's *very* bad. But medical records being out there for all to see is even worse IMHO.

Yet here they are, all those IBM technicians proudly boasting they are working toward the goal of total integration of
your life's total body of information.

Am I being too paranoid? I mean, I don't have to worry about finding a job anymore, but someone with a family history of heart disease or cancer may not get hired if that info is readily available.

It seems the govt wants to eventually create an electronic record of each person in this world -- driving records, working reccords, health records, tax records, family records, - everything. Sure sounds like 1984 to me. Loss of pivacy is one thing - having faceless bureaucrats crawling through every facet of my families' life is not something I want happening. It may surprise you to learn they're not ALL honest.

The computer has brought us great convienence but it has the ability to cause great harm also.

LarryT
Porsche Posters!! And
Oil Analysis at youroil.net.