A sorta related question -- I want to set up a dedicated machine in my shop to run my CNC machine, I can bodge one up using some old stuff I have around. The control software I use runs on XP. I have XP on a disk. I vaguely recall in various reinstalls that XP wants to connect to the network to get verified and install updates and make it so it is not being used twice and all that stuff. Is there an easy way to just load it and make it work without doing all that? Or make an SP2 XP disk to load up and forget all the other stuff it wants to do? I seem to recall that might be doable, but I forget how to do it.

I suppose I could just make a backup image of my boot hard drive on another one to put into that machine?

--R

Loren Faeth wrote:
Sounds like typical MS. I don't have a solution to this problem In the Retrospect when you are making the disaster recovery cd, will it take your product key?

if not, then this is time consuming, but the only shot I can think of:
 in the "install programs control panel:
Remove SP3
Restart twice with full shutdown  (this clears the removed files)
Now you will have xp SP2 ( I am not sure if this breaks any other patches)

Try the retrospect using the WinXP key you have
You may have to make an additional backup of the current state first, before making the disaster recovery CD