OK Don wrote:
I don't see Interstaes on the list, but it's probably not exhaustive.
So, are all these batteries made the same, or are there differences
between them? Is the cheapest the same internally as the most
expensive of a given size, warranty and CCA?

What I can be absolutely sure of is that they have different stuff written on 'em! MOST of the differences between brands other than cosmetics involve the service/warranty and how much the seller makes in profit. There are at least two different series 49 Interstates and two different Johnson Controls batteries sold by Wal-Mart suitable for big MB diesels, but from the reports I've gotten, BOTH the lower and higher cost batteries have been very reliable.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi