The last two Varta battries I replaced were done at 7 years, neither was because of a failure, rather preventive measures.
On the other hand it is still possible to buy batteries from someone
(couldn't figure out who made it, some house brand from a battery suppler in Canada) that failed after 3 years of use. (1000 CCA, failed load test, after I noticed it failing to turn the starter fast enough in the 83 300TDt)