You can't go wrong with Debian or Ubuntu. The apt-get/aptitude
utilities are wonderful. My personal favorite at the moment. However
all the available flavors of linux have matured and are good choices.
Pick one and immerse yourself to the degree that suits your inner geek
:-) The driver support for Linux variants has never been better.

Another option is Apple. The $1500 24" iMac is sweet. If I recall
correctly, Apple dropped their proprietary kernel and switched to a
Linux base - was that when they went with Intel hardware?

-Dave Walton