From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of tyler
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:41 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mercedes 240D Manual Turbocharged

Just to play devils advocate (if you didn't notice, I like to argue...)
what harm would the turbo cause that would result in premature failure?
I know it would put extra stress on anything, but the whole engine and
drivetrain of a 240D is severely overbuilt.

Most older 240D engines I see finally die from low compression and
severe blowby. With the turbo (even with some conservative fuel
enrichment) the engine will burn cleaner, and have less abrasive soot to
wear the pistons and rings. Perhaps the increased power would break
something else, but it's also possible that it would not if the turbo
system was built and tuned properly.

Tyler