No, you have that backward, lean is hot, too much fuel cools things off.

tyler wrote:
Is it possible the pistons melted for some reason other than a lean condition? I can't explain why those four vehicles melted pistons since I haven't seen them- but I can't imagine it being caused by a lean condition. Lean = cold, rich = hot EGTs in a diesel. Surely someone else can back me up on this? I have tuned several modified diesels with an EGT gauge, and lean equals less smoke, low EGTs, less power, and rich equals more smoke, high EGTs, more power.

Perhaps those engines were actually running too rich, were being lugged, or had their injection timing set incorrectly?

Tyler

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com