Spats? You mean those white "leggins" my brothers wore in boot camp in '39 and '40 and that I played with as a child; also wore on AFROTC drill team and OCS honor guard?

OCS standing in chair; BTDT - 2 classmates lift you and lower you into pants held by another classmate - save the starched crease. Cooperate and graduate.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wonko the Sane" <don.b...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I now have a 140 parked in my garage

I still do that, too ... aren't old habits hard to break? And I get to go to
work (as management) in jeans, running shoes and a polo shirts. The pay
sucks but you can't beat the dress code.

One of my best memories of OCS -- and I do apologize to folks who are
wanting to talk about cars -- is getting ready for inspection every morning. We had to wear white spats and had to have our shirts perfect. The only way
was to use masking tape.

So, we'd all get up on a chair and "drop pants" so someone could tape you
up. It wasn't until after graduation that it hit me that we had several
females in the class, and there was no discrimination. I can still remember
a good friend, a female who is now a Captain for Delta, bending over,
binding my pant legs up with masking tape, head about 6" from "ground zero" with me standing in the boxer shorts. And being military issue, the fly was
not well designed.

Ten minutes from inspection, you don't think of that sort of thing. You just
get the job done.