I realize oil brands and weights tend to be a quasi-religious issue, with most people (myself included) having strong convictions with little evidence.

Some of the reasons I use the thinner oil:
1) The 5w40 will start quicker, and build oil pressure quicker, especially in cold weather
2) It remains just as thick at operating temp and above
3) M1 Turbo Diesel Truck is only widely available in this weight, and it's intended for diesels and rated to handle more diesel soot than regular M1
4) It's usually about the same price
5) It's MB approved for all temps (is 10w40 approved at all in the current specs?)
6) And last but not least- it's what Marshall used

I wouldn't hesitate to use another weight of M1 if I couldn't get 5w40, but 5w30 would be my second choice. I think that the thicker oil will accelerate engine wear, especially in cold climates and offer no advantages in warm climates, except for possibly reduced oil consumption in a worn or leaky engine. My 190DT doesn't burn or leak significant amounts of oil...

Tyler

Curt Raymond wrote:
What advantage do you see in the 5w40? I use it but only because its usually
slightly cheaper and is better in the cold here in New England but other than
that I see no real advantage. I use 15w50 in my garden tractor because it leaks
less but still starts better at -10F than 10w40 conventional oil.
5w40 M1 *might* have slightly better (or stronger) cleaning action but thats a
big might...

-Curt