Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:09:37 -0500
From: "Rick Knoble" <rickkno...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] our 190D starts to burn oil
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

From: "Zoltan Finks" <mmmmmsuchpo...@gmail.com>
> I'm following the wife as she drives our 87 190D and I notice smoke out
> the
> tailpipe.
>
> Checked and it was about 1.5 qt. low on oil.
>
> Filled it after it sat for a weekend

One thing Marshall was adamant about was letting a MB diesel seek it's own
oil level. Don't let it run out of oil for sure, but don't keep it topped
off either.

I would make sure it is getting up to temp (you did change the thermostat
and it does work?) and drive the snot out of it. IIRC you live in the
Pacific Northwest so mountains to blaze up with foot to the floor should be
in abundance. You can also leave it in second (third?) around town to keep
the rpms up. Italian tune-ups work best with a load, though, so mountain
driving would be ideal.

The 16 grand plus money for a new Focus plus full coverage insurance plus
interest on the loan plus maintenance work (new cars still need oil changes,
tires, brakes, ect.)  will buy a heck of a lot of parts (and labor for that
matter) for an old Benz.

Just my opinion.

Rick Knoble