you rarely have to mess with drums and they let you dispense with power
brakes in many cars.  i will never get over the simplicity of my german
built 70s VW Rabbit. no power steering or brakes.  dry clutch.  CIS.  points
and condenser ignition.  i changed the plugs and points every 5k miles.
took about 10 minutes to do. changed the condenser every 15k and coil and
wires every 30k.   never an ignition problem.  ever. not even a slight one.

 had 400k miles or so on it when a tree finally did it in.  i donated to
some school for evil boys who said they would bring it back to life although
i never learned if they ever did or not.