On Jun 22, 2009, at 1:56 PM, andrew strasfogel wrote:

There's a buggered hood hinge on my 1983 300TD and I thought the job of
replacing it would be easy. A guy I know who work does estimates for a body shop says it requires removal of both the hood AND the fender. Can this be true? By inspection it appears as if all the attaching hardware bolts are
somewhat accessible, at least...

It can be done without removing the fender and hood but such is not for the feint of heart. With the right recipe of tools You can pull the inner bolt. Helps to have a helper with very small hands to get it back in. This is not something to attempt for a first time on a "nice" car. I practiced on junkers before doing the job on a serviceable car.

Mathieu