Funny, the insurance company I've been dealing with from the traffic accident a couple years ago has been quite reasonable (other than the normal lowball initial offer). I could do without the assumption that I'm stupid enough to take a very low value for the car, but that behavior is easy to fix, just have the Insurance Comminsional suspend the license of any insurance company who does it, it's a regulation problem, not an insurance problem per se.

Remember, YOU are responsible for any damage you do with your vehicle, that's why all states REQUIRE that you have some liability insurance to drive a car. It's very unlikely that the vast majority of people who drive cars have the ready cash to pay for ANY damage they do -- the insurance company I'm dealing with got off easy since I drive a Benz and was just beaten up by getting hit in the driver's door by a Chevy 3500 series work van, fully loaded, at 60 mph. In a lesser car there would be several tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills instead of a couple thousand. You got the ready cash to pay for ciritcal care for six people when you zone out a traffic light and hit someone? I'd guess not.

Peter