Hm.  I'd guess the idea would be to get people to buy the insurance
rather than pay the fee.  I would think the fee ought to be somewhat
higher in that case: an older driver with a clean record might be able
to get liability insurance for less than $500/year, but a young
unmarried male with a few points on his records, probably not.