John wrote:
> Does the State pay the harmed parties? ie:
> taxpayers?

Yes.
We always pay.
You never thought your insurance premium covered your stolen Brat - did you?
We all pay for that stolen Brat, whether it be insco direct to you or
taxpayer funds covering for insco AIG investments.  It will be that
way for the next 50 years and taxes will go up to cover it.
That is not a direct answer to the VA question you asked, but it
covers the issue of a large pool of money supposed to be available for
covering mishaps.  It ain't there for you, usually - but sometimes
they come thru and cover an incident so not too much bad press leaks
out.  Other than that occaisional pay out - we get skrewed, pure and
simple.  It is a sham.
mao