I'll say. 'Sounds like a bonehead way to avoid doing proper engineering. When I moved here 21 years ago, (2-story 3500' Georgian colonial revival house), the house had a 5-ton unit (heat pump) with 3 air handlers that were installed in 1964. 'Bout 8 years ago, I installed 3 completely separate units (a 3-ton and two 2's). The 3-ton does the first floor; each of the 2's handles half the second floor (half of second floor used only when guests/children/grandchildren are here). 'System not perfect, but sure is nice to "dial" comfort when you want it.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <j...@windwireless.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 1:59 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Speaking of hot....

Any other suggestions before I call in my HVAC guy?

I've seen houses with two systems.  One main one and
a smaller one to do the top.  A different way to do
zones, and potentially more efficient if running just
the small system up top is sufficient for a good part
of the year.

Or it may have just been a bonehead way to avoid doing
proper engineering.  Who's to say?

-- Jim