And I thought propane was considered too high pressure for most uses (thus the isobutane mixed in with the propane in Envirosafe, etc).

Propane's about like R22.  Not 'too high' at all in a system
designed for it, but 'too high' for one designed for R12.

CO2?  Now that's a different story.  I'm sure that the CO2
proposal is a big STFU to the enviro-weenies.  Yeah, it's
technically difficult, but using the "greenhouse gas" directly
(and make sure it's gotten via atmospheric extraction) will
cut them off at the knees.  Of course, if it's only 10% as
efficient as R12 (guessing) where is the other 90% of input
power going to come from?

It's never about science.  R12 was about science, nothing
since then has been.  More like Political Poker:  "I'll see
your black man, and raise you a woman."  Hey, they both look
great in a suit.  Ugh.

Ammonia is cheap and highly effective.  Environmentally
friendly too, it's used as fertilizer.  Just a tiny bit
dangerous, though!  Still, it's used in RV refrigerators
and nobody seems to have a problem with it there.  They're
also full of nasty Hydrogen, too.

Hey, if they want us to treat refrigerant like it's
poisonous, never leaking or dumping a bit, why not use
something that actually _is_ poisonous, yet environmentally
friendly?  Ammonia is starting to sound more and more
perfect to me!

Liquid CO2 has, IIRC, about 700-900psi vapor pressure at common temps. My liquid CO2 vessels are rated at 1800psi or more.

I can see the Make article now:  "Green AC in your car!  By re-routing
the AC plumbing through the suspension pump..."

-- Jim