i get more and more convinced everyday that EVERYTHING is just political.
All decisions are made in this simple algorithm:

A causes B
B is bad
A is bad
C is a replacement for B
C is good

This logic is horrible on many, many levels.  mostly it is no logic at all,
but that isn't my subject here.  there are two things no one ever cares to
talk about:

externalities
co-dependencies (i probably have the word wrong for this)

an externality is something that is created and put upon you as a side
effect of something else.  like in my subdivision now the old biddies are
trying to kill off the snakes.  these snakes have never hurt anyone as far
as anyone knows, but they are big and snakelike.  the old biddies are
frightened from them.  what do you think is going to happen to the rat
population if they succeed?  get rid of DDT, hundreds of millions will die
from malaria.  get rid of R12, send global warming through the roof.  every
answer that is about prohobition of any sort works on the bad logic above.
and if you try to point this out to anyone making the argument, they will
shout you down.

what is called scientific research is nothing but regression analysis.
econometrics.  it works under a limited set of circumstance, but it mostly
doesn't work.  it's basically about drawing a graph.  like, say you want to
know the relationship between fat intake and heart disease.  to simplify
this model, say the only fat anyone in the usa eats is butter.  so you see
how many sticks of butter a lot of people eat and whether they get heart
attacks.  you discover that dudes who eat 10 sticks of butter a day are
dropping dead left and right from heart attacks.  you also discover that
dudes who are eating 1 stick of butter a year seem to never get heart
attacks.  so you make a graph and shows you how heart attacks and butter
correlate.  and you call it "science".  and anyone who disagrees gets
shouted down.  and you start giving everyone margarine instead and every
doctor and government organization and school and whomever tells you to eat
margarine to save your heart.  after all, it is science.

amazingly, everyone starts to live the scientific wisdom of the food
pyramid, only they are now dropping dead faster and from more things than
ever before.  so now those with a vested interest in selling that margarine
need to make ptolemaic adjustments to preserve the gospel "truth proven by
science."  only thing is that this isn't any science, but bullshit and the
gospels are all just so much politics.  in the end it's just an orwellian
world and the government tells you who oceania has always been at war with
and you need to sit down and shut up or someone will hurt you.  and all
discussion of politics, education, medicine, economics, society, race, et a
all just becomes pontificated bullshit and shit down and shut up.  only the
ramifications get more and more serious every day as the sit down and shut
up technology increases, so much so that the 20th century can be viewed
really as just one wholesale bloodbath over bullshit.

and if anyone of you are interested, i'll explain why the correlation
between teh hearts attacks and the sticks of butter are no science at all.