You need an input of some sort on your computer that you can hook the TAPE MON or MON OUT of a stereo (to which a tape player is hooked) to using the appropriate cables. I have an external USB sound "card" that has a bunch of inputs and outputs for this sort of thing. I got it some years ago for like $35 at some computer store, I'm sure you can find similar things -- this one is a Creative, I have really liked it. You might be able to use the MIC input of your computer with a mini stereo plug/RCA plug (the red/white round ones on the back of a stereo) adapter cable, not sure how it actually handles the input though.

Then you run Audacity, set it to listen to whatever input you are using, start the tape, start recording, then you can do some cleanup of the recording.

--R

Gary Hurst wrote:
i'm trying to avoid inputting the signal by playing it through a speaker and
recording it with a mic

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 9:02 PM, M. Mitchell Marmel