Having owned a 89 300TE I can say it suffered from hydraulic lifter noise at 200K miles. However to fix that it required new lifers and everything in the valve train replaced because the replacement lifters were harder metal and I was told it would damage the camshaft. Replacement Camshaft was harder so all the valves needed to be replace too. However given you had to do a valve job it was timely to replace all of that, I choose to sell said car and buy the 83 300TDt, (plus the tranny was taking time and clunking into reverse (rebuild time?))

I'll also note it takes a bit of care to get the MAF setup right to give best economy, I suffered from poor mpg over the life of the vehicle as compared to expectations. epa 17 city, 21 highway, 19 combined saw on average over last two years 18.6. Other vehicles in the stable see epa est highway number on average.