I'm never shy at all about parking my MB's (no matter the age) under the porte cochere; that's what it's for, and I don't let 'em forget it. They have yet to refuse my money, but I do my best to give it to others (indies, Rusty, etc.) who are not quite so "uppity" as the de-uh-stealers.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Just had my first bad experience with BMW

Yeah, I used to get that when I drove Brunnhilda to the Benz dealer near me in Houston, though the parts guys were clueless. I went there one day to get a glow plug fuse and the kid at the parts counter didn't even know what I was talking about. Took me about 10 minutes to walk him through the parts. He kinda looked at it like it had been dead a week or two when he brought it to me.

I did park Brunnhilda right in front of the door though, under the porte cochere, so it would be visible to everyone there. I was looking at some new SLs and whatnot they had in the showroom, I think the sales dudes wanted to get some Lysol after me to clean the cars that I had sat in. Some day when I win the lottery I am going back there dressed like some goober and try to buy a Maybach and some AMGs, see how they treat me when I walk in. If they act like that again, I'll go buy a Lambo or Bentley or something at the fancy shop, then come back in one still looking like a goober and see what they do.

--R

Donald Snook wrote:
Rich wrote: "But the experience of hanging around the BMW shop should be worth the
extra $$.  You can pose with the others there."

I am sure the dealership staff and other customers would react the same to me and my 12 year BMW as the folks at the Mercedes Dealership acted when I brought in my then 15 year old 126 300SEL.

I went to the MB dealer in Springfield, Missouri a couple of times years ago when I had my old 123 diesel with 400,000 plus miles. The service department guys acted like I had dog crap on my shoes, but the parts guys were friendly and always wanted to go out and check out the car. I remember one time I was getting a rebuilt injector and the MB Zone rep was there. The parts guy says, "Hey Jim, you have to go out and look at this guys car!" The zone rep came out looked at it and wasn't all that impressed. He told me I should trade it on one of the new diesels (which was probably a 99 model year). Of course, he was about 35 years old, and dressed in starched oxford and starch khakis. I doubt he had any idea how many of those 123's were on the road.

Donald H. Snook