I don't know how much weight you put in your wagon, but I have a Volvo wagon that I also use as a "mini suburban". I once towed a ~6,000lb trailer over 1,000 miles with it, and I regularly tow my sailboat with a large iron keel with it. I have some very expensive many ply Michelin tires that I believe are designed for small pickups and they work great. You could also look into the type of light truck tires used on a VW vanagon/bus which have reinforced sidewalls and are rated for as much as 2200lbs. Trailer tires are also a possibility.

All of those tires will drastically hurt the ride quality and handling of your car.

Just curious, how much load do you carry with your 300TD? I've always wanted to replace my Volvo wagon with a 300TD, but I'm not sure if the rear suspension or transmission could take the place of those on my Volvo, which can do this:

http://illumina.ucr.edu/misc/740c22.jpg
http://illumina.ucr.edu/misc/740_move1.jpg

I want to try towing that sailboat to Big Bear Lake which is at over 7,000 feet elevation up a windy mountain road, and the boat weighs about 3,300lbs- but has it's own brakes. Could a 300TD handle that?

Tyler

Fmiser wrote:
Speaking of tires...

I often put a lot of weight in my 300TD. The suspension seems to
handle it well, but I'm worried about the tires.  14 inch tires
seem to be going the way of Kodachome, so the choices are
limited.

The 195/70 or 185/75 tires I'm finding have a weight rating of
590-610 kg. (1300-1345 lb)  I have one old off-brand tire that's
rated 695 kg (1532 lb).

Anyone know of a decent 14 inch tire with a weight rating of
more than 640 kg (1400 lb)?
--   Philip, who's using his wagon like a mini-suburban.