Jim wrote:

It's amazing how often things aren't all that broken,
and if you're willing to expend a little time and don't
care too much about the cosmetics you can save quite
a bit of cash.  Not to mention the built-in smugness
factor of having saved something from the landfill.

But you lose too, sometimes.

-- Jim

How true, I have just pleasantly found that out again with my verrrry old, new to me John Deere backhoe. The young man sold it cheap after his grandpa died because of the cost to repair. The main problem was leaks and the worst was the swing cylinder. It was losing fluid so fast you could not get a job done. Because it has a Detroit diesel engine, I got no help from local dealers in trying to find out what I had so I could order manuals and parts, one guy said it must be a transplant. I joined a heavy equipment backhoe forum and they had not heard of it either and wanted pictures. One guy started digging and found everything, including a study conducted on this tractor by the Univercity of Nebraska. That information allowed me to order seven manuals, covering the tractor, loader, backhoe and the 2-53 detroit engine. After much reading about repairing the swing cylinder, I found a statement that said the top and bottom bolts should be torqued once a week. I found that most of the bottom bolts could be removed with my fingers. After a cheater bar operation, it's dried up completely. I now have a loader cylinder leak, a fuel line leaking, a power steering fluid leak and two more small hydralic leaks, but I can use it as is.

Harry