From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Kaleb C. Striplin
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 5:54 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Block off oil cooler?

I would say find a new mechanic.  I have SEVERAL cars in the back with
both locked up motors, and motors with major knocks and problems from
doing just that thing.  Does not take long at all either.  Not a very
smart idea at all.

Curt Raymond wrote:
> My 240D is at the Indy's today getting motor mounts and oil cooler lines
(I have zero time lately...). He of course ruined the cooler getting the old
lines off (didn't we just talk about this) but he'd suggested up front that
it was probably the cooler that was leaking anyway so I was prepared to put
a cooler in.
> Apparently goo used coolers are pretty much not available around here
because they stick to the lines like mine has. My Indy suggests sealing the
lines at the oil filter by cutting off the hose, inserting a ball bearing
and then soldering the line shut. He says that on a 240D in New England the
oil cooler doesn't do a whole lot. Considering most people reply with "240Ds
have oil coolers?" I guess I agree with his idea. In fact considering its
completely reversible (he's only ruining a line thats already ruined) I've
told him to go ahead, if at some point I come upon a good cooler I'll put it
back to stock...

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E,