Thanks Max, sounds like it boils down to a last resort thing. If nothing else cures the problem, maybe a DV upgrade will. I've redone them on two SDLs and a 300TD because they were leaking externally. The last SDL was a learning experience, the wife was at a friends house and it would not start. To make a VERY long story short, it turns out that a low fuel tank level + leaking DVs + sloping driveway equals to air in the fuel system.

Harry
:

Harry,

Rough idle can be caused by internal leak at copper washer OR by worn
elements inside the delivery valve.  I suspect that you really have to
know what you are looking for to identify worn elements inside the DV;
new DV are pricey, but for the novice a strategy may be to purchase one
and use it for comparison purposes?  Obviously there are other causes
for rough idle that also need to be investigated (fuel filters, air
leaks, bad injectors, carbon in pre-chambers, valve adjustment on older
engines, EDS problems on newer engines, compression, etc.)

Max