that sums it up.  that 2.2l ecotec was THE BEST 4 cylinder the general ever
built up to that time, but the bean counters cheaped out for a few pennies
and the chains were giving up the ghost on account of it.

instead immediately stepping up and saying "hey, we let the beancounters get
us again but we'll make it right" they invented that it was the customer's
fault and tried to cover it up.  they are zeroes and my family's long
relationship with the general is over on account of it.

multiply my sentiment millions of times based around 100s of similar issues
and no one can be surprised that the general is now government motors.

on the other side. once this issue is sorted out, that ecotec engine merits
my wholehearted recommendation.  as for the rest of the chassis for, say , a
2002 olds alero, i'd have to say "eh, useful but mediocre"