To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 8:01 PM
Subject: [MBZ] New member intro and 190e question or two

Good evening folks,

I am Jim Arnott, a long time VW owner (and list admin for a bunch of VW lists) and possibly a new used Mercedes owner. I live in NE Oregon and have been driving/repairing VWs most of my life. I have an opportunity to pick up a '92 190e 2.6 for not a lot of money. I have a single mom daughter that needs wheels and saving you all the long story, if we were to toss a shiny Merc her way it would please her to no end (and get her off my back!)

The 190 that I'm looking at has oil in the coolant so it obviously need a head gasket. It's also leaking at the rear of the engine and I expect that that may well be a head gasket issue as well. Changing out the gasket doesn't look like too big of project, but I do have a question about one part of the process.

The service manual 01.1101 I - 415/4 step 8 says "Use impact extractor 116 589 20 33 00 to withdraw slide rail pin (74)."

Not having impact extractor 116 589 20 33 00 to withdraw slide rail pin, is there a work around? A substitute tool? Does the slide rail pin really need to be extracted to R&R the head gasket?

Second question: From what I've gathered through the Googles, head gasket failure seems to be typical on the 2.6 motor at around 100k miles. Is this a true statement and how likely is it that a simple replacement will cure its ills? There is no evidence that the motor has been overheated and the oil in the coolant is a relatively recent occurrence. The motor runs strong, has 3 bar oil pressure hot and the temp gauge sits right at 87 deg on a 20 mile drive at highway speeds. There is no cold pressurization of the cooling system so it appears that there is no compression leakage to the cooling system (A common VW problem.)

Thank you in advance for you wisdom.

Jim Arnott
Union, OR