From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 8:52 AM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mama's Benz got Max's bug

What's the best way to get at the tank internals? (I might be forced to look it up in the manual!)

--R

Scott Ritchey wrote:
You'll probably need to clean out the tank too. I'm guessing the grit may
be rust from inside your tank (or if you're lucky the station's tank).  I
got a bad load of diesel in my 126 300SD a few years back and had similar
problems. The in-tank screen filter would gradually clog while driving and
I'd lose power. After draining the fuel tank I washed it with a pressure
washer shooting through the gage hole while the water and crud drained
through the filter hole below.  Then I dried it for a couple days using a
shop vac on blow.  But the once-shiny inside of the tank was dark and I
suspect that was partly rust from the water. I also had to disassemble and clean the fuel gage (be very careful here) to get the gook off the wire and
sliding contacts.  All has been fine ever since so I'm keeping fingers
crossed and I add biocide at every fillup.

Scott