Diesel engine is more efficient to start with, so the gains are small when playing with electric hybrids.

On 11/25/09 9:05 AM, Rich Thomas wrote:
More costly than a gasoline/electric hybrid. I think Benz looked into them and numbers just didn't work out, mostly because the diesel engine was more expensive than a gasser.

You could drive a locomotive!

--R

WILTON wrote:
I've wanted to see a Diesel-electric hybrid for many years; actually since many years before Toyota and Honda started with the gasoline-elec hybrids.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] MB 240D Diesel Hydrogen hybrid

I would love to see the milage rating for a diesel-electric hybrid, should be about 30% greater than a gas/electric for city driving. Same deal on the highway, though -- worse than the equivalent non/ hybrid.

Hydrogen fuel is a pipe dream -- the only current source is de- carbonized methane, so the CO2 (and all that heat/work) is dumped into the atmosphere during manufacture. "Sequestration" is bu...it too -- who wants a volcano of CO2 snow when the underground storage blows out (as it will, surely).

Better to burn the methane direct and DRIVE LESS!

Peter

87 300SDL, 87 300D, 81 240D, 200D